Monday 16 September 2013

Beer #56 - The Black Turtle Svetlo (FYR Special!)

The Black Turtle brewery was established in northern Serbia in 2010 and owns a chain of pubs in the capital Belgrade. As far as I can ascertain Black Turtle is the closest thing Serbia has to a craft microbrewery. Its pubs are all within central Belgrade and are simply numbered, Black Turtle II – Black Turtle V (Black Turtle I is now closed). The pubs are well worth checking out if you’re in Belgrade and offer a decent alternative to constant euro lager. Whilst I was there I visited Black Turtle III and Black Turtle V for a few drinks, a 300ml glass of beer comes in at around 75p (or approx. US$1.25) which is pretty good value especially for the stronger stuff which is the same price. The first beer I had was the Black Turtle Svetlo. I don’t really know why I chose this given the interesting array of stuff on offer, for the first time in a week I could try something that wasn’t lager and I picked a lager. Good one. Thankfully this was nothing like what I’d be been drinking up to this point, indeed it was like manna from heaven in comparison to most of the fizzy crap I’ve detailed in previous posts. It’s therefore hard to write a decent review. I really liked it, it was hazy and had some depth to it, but I’m not sure whether I liked it because it was better than anything else I’d been drinking in Macedonia or because it was actually good. I guess you’ll have to go there and try it yourself.

Brewery: Black Turtle
Country: Serbia
ABV: 4.6%

No comments:

Post a Comment