Wednesday 18 September 2013

Beer #59 - The Black Turtle IPA
Beer #60 - The Black Turtle Blueberry (FYR Special!)

Having finished with sight-seeing in Belgrade for the day we decided to seek out another Black Turtle location for a pre-dinner drink. We set off in search of Black Turtle III which is near the fortress in the city. I obviously hadn’t been playing close enough attention when marking the location of the pub on the map, as having walked the full length of the street (we thought) the pub was on we couldn’t find it. Having wandered around for a bit I realised that we were looking for it on Gospodar Jevremova when it was in fact one street over on Gospodar Jovanova. I’m usually pretty good with the cyrillic alphabet but I let myself down on this one. Unlike Black Turtle V, III was on a nice quiet side street. On this occasion I sampled the IPA and another fruit beer, this time Blackberry flavour. The IPA is a reasonable stab at a hoppy beer, particularly for the area. As far as I can ascertain there aren’t many places producing beer like this in the Balkans. In comparison to what you’d find in the UK or USA it was fairly unexciting but by no means terrible. The Blackberry arrived with a thick purple head that evoked the hundreds of pints Snakebite and black (Snakebite is a half/half mix of lager and cider, often then mixed with blackcurrant cordial) I’d drunk in my student days. This was a reasonable step up from the lemon beer I tried earlier in the day and was reasonably tasty. I probably wouldn’t recommend it though. All in all the Black Turtle pubs offer some half-decent beer and a good alternative to drinking crap lagers all the time. In addition to the beers posted they offer a stout, a couple of Belgian-style beers and a variety of seasonal specials and are worth checking out if you find yourself in Belgrade.


Black Turtle IPA
Brewery: Black Turtle
Country: Serbia
ABV: 8.0%

Black Turtle Blueberry
Brewery: Black Turtle
Country: Serbia
ABV: 4.6%


No comments:

Post a Comment