Saturday 7 December 2013

Beer #138 - Dark Star Coconut Porter

When I read about Dark Star’s coconut porter a few days ago I knew it was a beer that I wanted to hunt down. A coconut porter? Dreamland. Thankfully I work in an area that is one of the best places, probably in the whole world, for beer (I was giving this some thought and I think I could quite easily access 800 or so beers within a ten minute walk of my office. That’s an educated guess anyway). So on Thursday evening I made my way to the excellent Craft Beer Co. in Clerkenwell where, sure enough, they had the coconut porter on cask along with 6 other Dark Star beers. The beer is one of Dark Star’s monthly specials, available for December 2013. I must admit to being a bit disappointed with it although that’s possibly down to my excitement about trying it. As a porter it was great, full flavoured and perfectly drinkable. However I really couldn’t discern the promised coconut aroma and really struggled to pick up any coconut from it at all. It was good but it wasn’t what I was expecting and I think I’ll have to give the Maui brewery version, to which this is a nod, a try.

Brewery: Dark Star Brewing Co.
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 5.0%

No comments:

Post a Comment