Thursday 8 May 2014

Beer #227 - Shepherd Neame Spitfire

Since moving to London I’ve found it a real challenge to find decent pubs that show live football and aren’t full of people, particularly in central London and the City. Last week I planned to watch the Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Atletico Madrid and was again presented with this problem. I recalled The Hoop & Grapes, a pub on Farringdon Street just down the road from my work which, according to signs outside showed live football. The downside was that it’s a Shepherd Neame pub. I’m not a big Shepherd Neame fan and will try to avoid their beer if possible, but every now and then I find myself in one of their pubs with little choice. On this occasion I went for their Spitfire, an English bitter that commemorates the Battle of Britain and is probably best known for a controversial ad campaign. The beer itself is really very average. Both aroma and flavour are dominated by a sweet maltiness and it was pretty light in body. Nothing to write home about at all. I subsequently switched to the Whitstable Pale Ale which was something of an improvement although with an almost overwhelming caramel flavour. Still, at least I got to watch the football.
 
Brewery: Shepheard Neame
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 4.2%

No comments:

Post a Comment