Saturday 28 June 2014

Beer #263 - Brick Archway Steam

I recently picked up this bottle of Brick’s Archway Steam at a shop in Dulwich, the name of which I didn’t pay attention to but, as I’m moving to the area this weekend, I will no doubt find out soon! Like the Bermondsey crowd, Brick is another south London brewery based in a railway arch although they’re a bit further south in Peckham Rye. Like the Bermondsey brewers they also operate a taproom which is open on Saturdays but unlike the Bermondsey brewers they also produce cask beer in addition to bottle and kegs. I plan to visit very soon, naturally. This, as far as I am aware, is a new style to me, a ‘California Common’. RateBeer describes the style and is sounds quite interesting I thought I’d replicate it in full… “Style originating in 18th century California, where brewers without access to refrigeration produced beers using lager yeasts and warm temperatures. These still retain some of the rounded character inherent in all lagers, but with a dose of ale fruitiness.” Anyway enough of that, this was a cracking beer and, I know I’ve been saying this a lot lately but this time I really mean it, it is perfect for the summer. The beer pours a deep amber and the nose is dominated by the malt; bready and cakey with a hint of citrus. On drinking it is wonderfully crisp and light with some bitterness, it’s biscuity with a decent yet very subtle citrus hits. It’s really incredibly drinkable, absolutely super.

Brewery: Brick Brewery
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 4.5% 

No comments:

Post a Comment