Wednesday 11 September 2013

Beer #51 - Skopsko Radler (FYR Special!)

So according to my highly detailed research a Radler is shandy-style mix of beer and a soft drink that originated in Germany. The name translates literally as ‘cyclist’ which apparently stems from it’s popularity as a sports drink(?!). Radler seems to be a big deal in the Balkans, as well as this lemon variety from Pivara Skopje I spotted a variety of other flavours (grapefruit, red orange) from other breweries. This one I actually liked. It’s unsurprisingly rather sweet and tastes a lot like cloudy lemonade (which I’m a big fan of) with a hint of beer. It’s certainly more soft drink than beer but I’d rather drink this than say, a Smirnoff Ice or whatever the current British alco-pop equivalent would be, although at 2% ABV you’re probably as well off with a class of lemonade. The take home point is that this wasn’t anything like what I expected and was actually quite enjoyable.

Brewery: Pivara Skopje
Country: FYR of Macedonia
ABV: 2.0%

No comments:

Post a Comment