Friday 29 November 2013

Beer #133 - Goody’s Genesis

Another one from my trip to Whitstable, this is another Kentish ale from Goody Ales in Herne. This beer also has the distinction of being the first pint I’ve ever drunk in a micropub. I’ve become pretty much obsessed with the concept of a micropub since I first came across it several months ago. The idea actually came from this part of Kent, conceived by Martyn Hillier who opened the first micropub in Herne in 2005. The concept is simple; small, single-room pubs with no-frills and low overheads serving local beer. What’s not to like? When I realised how close we were to Herne I figured there must be a micropub nearby and a quick internet search led me to The Tankerton Arms, located in the Whitstable suburb of Tankerton. On Sunday I walked the twenty minutes out to the pub for a pint and to see if the idea was as good in reality as it seemed in my head. The pub had four beers on (as well as a few other drinks). It was pretty basic, a rectangular room with six high tables and high benches running along the walls to provide seating. A small chiller room housed the beers (and the till). The place was doing a reasonably brisk trade for a slightly miserable Sunday afternoon and I was very impressed with way it had been put together, in keeping with the simple ideals of the micropub. The beer itself was excellent, a good fresh session bitter, checking in at 3.5%. Nothing fancy but full flavoured and really good drinking.
 
Brewery: Goody Ales
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 3.5%

No comments:

Post a Comment