Tuesday 31 December 2013

Beer #144 - Rochefort Trappistes 10

This was a beer that I'd singled out as a 'must try' before leaving for Belgium. It's one of three beers produced by the Trappist monks at Abbey of Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy near the town of Rochefort. This is widely regarded as one of the finest beers and unlike the similar Westvleteren 12, Rochefort 10 is widely available in Belgian supermarkets for around 2 Euro a bottle. At 11.3% it's a rather strong beer and unlike anything I've ever had before. It pours a deep, dark brown. The flavour is wonderful with plenty of fruit, raisins, cherry, fruitcakey flavours with some spiciness on the finish. Some lovely chocolatey malts too, there's a lot going on here. It does pack an alcoholic punch too and the booziness is not hidden away but it's not unpleasant. I find it hard to judge beer that is unlike anything I've ever had before so I won't throw around any superlatives but should you find yourself in Belgium, it's a must-try, and I'm looking forward to cracking open the bottle I brought back to London with me.
 
Brewery: Brasserie Rochefort
Country: Belgium
ABV: 11.3%
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment