Wednesday 12 February 2014

Beer #175 - Three Coins Lager

Having spent my first few days in Sri Lanka eating and drinking at a guesthouse in Polonnaruwa, my first opportunity to seek out some different beers came in Kandy. I was only in the city for one day and spent part of the afternoon in the bar of the Queens Hotel, a colonial era hotel that doesn’t appear to have changed a great deal in the last century and a bit. The hotel is well worth having a look around if you’re in Kandy and the bar prices are inflated but not astronomical, so it’s quite a nice place to take a pit stop. I was pleased to see that they had a couple of alternatives to Lion Lager and ordered a Three Coins Lager. Despite my order I was still initially presented with a Lion which may go some way to highlight the stranglehold it has on the Sri Lankan market! After the confusion I was presented with a chilled bottle of Three Coins. This again is usually found in large 625ml bottles. It pours a pale straw colour and much like Lion is a welcome antidote to the heat. Again it’s a reasonably good lager, malty but, unsurprisingly, not a huge amount of depth.

Brewery: Millers Brewery
Country: Sri Lanka
ABV: 4.8%

No comments:

Post a Comment