Saturday 22 February 2014

Beer #181 - Dark Star Espresso

I'm not really sure what has happened to the image here, for some reason the uploaded version is coming out in this remarkable orange hue, but you get the point. Last night I was at the excellent Exmouth Arms for a colleague's leaving drinks. On the bar I spotted a Dark Star brew I hadn't tried, the Espresso coffee beer, and being a big Dark Star fan it was my first choice. The beer unsurprisngly poured almost black with a nice head. The aroma and flavour are both strong coffee which dominates throughout. I'm not a big coffee drinker but I do like the coffee tones that some stouts offer. This was probably a bit too much for me as there was little else going on flavourwise. I guess it seems a bit trite to say that a coffee beer tastes too much like coffee but I think a bit of chocolatey sweetness would have provided a bit of balance. I'm glad I tried it but I probably wouldn't go for this one again.

Brewery: Dark Star Brewing Co.
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 4.2%


No comments:

Post a Comment