Tuesday 13 May 2014

Beer #233 - Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

Last week I had a job interview that had been causing me a quite absurd amount of stress and worry and after I'd done it, I really fancied a beer (I didn't get the job, but thanks for asking). Unfortunately I had to get through the rest of the day first but in the evening I was able to crack open this East India Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery that I picked up from Whole Foods a few weeks ago. I always think Brooklyn beers look so incredibly appealing, with their labels unmistakeably American in design. As for the beer itself, my first sip of this was overwhelmingly bitter but the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it as I started to pick up on the malt character that I didn't initially recognise. My challenges with strong IPAs and bitter US hops have been well documented on this blog and I've had quite a steep learning curve with them. I'm also recognising that their is quite an art to balancing flavours in this type of beer. On the whole I think this EIPA is simply too bitter with little in the way of interesting or variety in the flavour. It was okay but I wouldn't choose it over, say, a Lagunitas IPA, and I sure as hell wouldn't opt for it over a finely crafted IPA from the likes of the Kernel Brewery.
 
Brewery: Brooklyn Brewery
Country: USA
ABV: 6.9%

No comments:

Post a Comment