Tuesday 27 May 2014

Beer #245 - Catalan Tølv Ulfhednar

As mentioned in my last few posts I spent last weekend at a stag do in Barcelona. I drank some excellent beers en route to my flight but subsequently spent my time there drinking San Miguel Especial. As it was my first time in the city I had decided to stay for an extra couple of days to do a spot of sight-seeing (and beer shopping) before taking the train back to London. Thus, last Monday having checked out the Sagrada Familia and Park Güell I headed to Rosses I Torrades, a super ‘celler de cerveses’ a short walk from the main tourist sites. I plan to write a short review of the shop in the next couple of days so won’t go into too much detail now, but my plan was to pick up a few Catalan beers to take home with me. I’d read that the area had a burgeoning craft beer scene and the shop seemed to attest to that with a decent selection of locally brewed beers. I picked up five bottles to take away and back at my accommodation I cracked a couple of them open. The first was Tølv Ulfhednar from Catalan Brewery. Now I’ve had to rely on Google translate quite a bit in the production of this blog post, but apparently Catalan Brewery has been in operation since 2011 with the brewer inspired by a trip to Scotland. Indeed the brewery seems quite taken with Northern Europe, this beer somehow being inspired by Vikings. Enough of the speculation. This was an APA brewed with Centennial, Cascade and Citra hops. The pour was an attractive, hazy deep amber. The aroma and flavour were both robust with bitter, citrus hops dominating. The beer tasted extremely fresh and was very drinkable with a lovely smooth mouth feel. It disappeared very quickly and I was soon reaching for another beer, impressive stuff.
 
Brewery: Catalan Brewery
Country: Spain
ABV: 5.2% ABV

No comments:

Post a Comment