Sunday 31 August 2014

Beer #305 - Clarkshaws Phoenix Rising
Beer #306 - Brick Sir Thomas Gardyner


These are another couple of beers I had at my local football club, Dulwich Hamlet FC. I've written before how the club is making an effort to get some decent local beers in and they really surpassed themselves with these two. Both served by gravity dispense from the bar, I had a pint of Clarkshaw's Phoenix Rising and a couple of pints of Brick's Sir Thomas Gardyner. Both beers were brewed within walking distance of the club and as you can see were available for a supremely reasonable £3.20 a pint.
Phoenix Rising is an excellent bitter with a wonderful malt profile, exactly my cup of tea. It pours a deep copper with an off-white head. The malt lends it a lovely chocolatey sweetness with some bready notes, a really great session beer.
Sir Thomas Gardyner from Peckham's Brick Brewery is a different beast. I've had a variety of different beers from Brick and they've all been great with this one no exception. This is a reasonably low strength IPA (3.8% ABV) that packs in a great deal of flavour. It pours a hazy orange and the nose is earthy hops. The taste isvery fruity and juicy without a huge amount of bitterness; it is there but it doesn't dominate. I really enjoyed this one, a true session IPA without the claggy bitterness that they so often have and that puts me off IPAs as a session drink.






Brewery: Clarkshaws
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 4.0%

Brewery: Brick Brewery
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 3.8%

No comments:

Post a Comment