Thursday 26 September 2013

Beer #70 - Blacksmith Golden Ale

Blacksmiths Golden Ale is named for the pub in which I had it, The Blacksmith & The Toffeemaker in Islington. It’s a pretty unremarkable golden ale, pouring a lovely clear golden colour and quite bitter, not as quaffable as I’d like but not offensive. It’s brewed either for or by the pub; I’ve not been able to ascertain which although I imagine it is the former. The pub itself is an odd beast and unfortunately a case of style over substance. I’d cycled past many times and from the outside it looks great, marketing itself as a gin and ale pub. Having finally ventured inside I was pretty disappointed. The bar was dominate by chrome-plated lager taps and the only ales on offer were fairly standard; Courage’s Directors, Caledonian’s Flying Scotsman and Deuchars. Not that these are bad beers you understand, just a bit run of the mill, especially for a pub that markets itself in this way. I certainly expected more given the excellent beer pubs nearby, the Exmouth Arms, two branches of Craft Beer Co., the Longroom, the Jerusalem Tavern, the Dovetail and more are within a ten minute walk of TBATT. On the plus side they do offer a very good pulled pork sandwich.
 
 
Brewery: ?
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 4.3%

No comments:

Post a Comment