Friday 14 February 2014

Beer #177 - Lion Stout

In my pre-holiday beer research it became increasingly clear that the island’s must-try tipple was Lion Stout. Brewed by the Lion Brewery, this stout is a million miles away from the ubiquitous Lion Lager. It was a little while before I was able to track down a bottle as it isn’t served that widely in bars and restaurants. I finally got my hands on one in the pretty little town of Ella in a small bar on the main street which was populated solely by local men. This stout is quite comfortably up there with some of the best I’ve had. It pours a pitch black with a beautiful thick tan head and a wonderful chocolatey aroma. It’s wonderfully full-bodied and it looks almost like you’re pouring yourself a glass of treacle. There is absolutely loads to taste in here; chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel, some dark fruits. At 8.8% it’s a hefty beer and with a 625ml bottle you aren’t far off drinking the equivalent of a bottle of wine. It did feel slightly alien drinking a stout like this in the Sri Lankan heat, thankfully I also brought a bottle home with me which I imagine I’ll enjoy even more in the British winter. As far as I can tell Lion Stout is also quite widely exported so if you happen to chance upon a bottle make sure you give it a try!

Brewery: Lion Brewery Ceylon
Country: Sri Lanka
ABV: 8.8%

 

No comments:

Post a Comment